10 Tips :
1. Wearing appropriate shoes and boots . Check your traction. Keep your legs turn inwards like a penguin can increase the traction.
2.Stay active. Strong muscles and bones are important in preventing falls and getting around safely.
3. Always carry a cell phone with you.
4. Keep your salt and shovel indoors to avoid slipping on your way to the garage or storage shed to get it.
5. Keep your steps and pathways clear. Check your railings and ensure they are sturdy, as they may save you from an unexpected slip or trip.
6.Have a plan. If you experienced a fall, what would you do? Being prepared in the event of a fall can assist in getting help as quickly as possible, and may even save your life.
7. Carry thing in one hand. You need the other hand for balance.
8. Ask yourself if you are at risk. Check your risk for falling with fall risk assessment.
9.Ask for help. Most people are happy to help an older person navigate across a slippery sidewalk or parking lot.
10.Never keep your hand in your jacket pocket, this reduces your base of support and increases the chances of risk. Keeping hands in pocket increases reaction time and increases fall risk on your face.
for more information: http://www.hiphealth.ca
-If you think you are at risk of fall and you need a fall risk assessment contact a physio.
10 Tips :